Miniatures For Sale

Friday, November 23, 2012

Run Down & WIP: Alpha Legion and DV Duplicate Minis

He needs a name...Oh! I know - Alpharius  ;)
Here is my entry for the STC contest assembled. At this point the base still needs to be finished and he needs a matte coat and some water effects on his eye lenses, but for now this gives you a good idea of the conversion and painting. Now after my last post I had a few requests for a run down of how this mini was painted so I thought I would do that today to balance out all the bare plastic later in the post...

*All paint colors are from the new Citadel paints range*
His trim was the first thing painted...
Base coat Leadbelcher
Stipple Warplock Bronze, Runelord Brass
Wash Agrax Earthshade, Seraphim Sepia
Dry brush Leadbelcher, Ironbreaker
Sponge on Runefang Steele
Next up was all the armour joints, cables, tabard, ammo belt and gun casing...
Joints, Cables & Ammo Belt:
Base coat Abbadon Black
Highlight Dark Reaper, The Fang, Russ Grey, Fenrisian Grey
Wash Athonia Camoshade, Nuln Oil
Tabbard:
Base coat Abbadon Black
Highlight Eshin Grey, Skaven Dingeblight, Dawnstone
Wash Nuln Oil
Gun Casing:

Base coat Abbadon Black
Highlight Incubi Darkness, Steggadon Scale, Thunderhawk Blue
Wash Nuln Oil

Followed by any metal that wasn't part of the trim...
Guns, knife, sword, chainmail, chains, vents & grenades:
Base coat Leadbelcher
Wash Nuln Oil, Agrx Earthshade
Dry brush Ironbreaker, Necron Compound
Diagonal line highlight across blade Runefang Steele
Then his eyes, bullets, skulls, holster and scabbard...
Eyes:
Base coat Averland Sunset
Highlight Yariel yellow, Flashgitz Yellow, White scar
Wash Bloodletter & water 2:1
Tips of Bullets:

Base coat Leadbelcher
Wash Nuln Oil, Agrx Earthshade
Dry brush Ironbreaker, Necron Compound
Glaze Bloodletter
Wash Corriburg Crimson

Bullet Casings:
Base coat Dryad Dark
Wet brush Balthasar Gold, Runelord Brass, Sycorax Bronze
Wash Seraphim Sepia
Skulls:
Base coat Zandri Dust
Wash Agrax Earthshade
Highlight Zandri Dust, Utshabi Bone, Pallid Wych Flesh
Wash Seraphim Sepia & water 2:1
Holster & Scabbard:
Base coat Rhinox Hide
Highlight Doombull Brown, Mournfang brown
Wash Argax Earthshade

Finally, it was time for his armour and Legion insignia...
Armour:
Base coat Leadbelcher
Highlight  Ironbreaker
Wash Nuln Oil
Highlight Runefang Steele
Glaze Gulliman Blue (3-4 layers, let dry completely between each coat to judge when best to stop)
Highlight Runefang Steele
Glaze Waywatcher Green
Legion insignia:
Apply Decal
Glaze Gulliman Blue

Highlight Runefang Steele
Glaze Waywatcher Green

And last but not least was the base...
Skull: same as above
Necorn Bits:
Base coat Rhinox Hide
Wet brush Screaming bell, Brass scorpian, Hasput copper
Dry brush Necorn compound
Wash Agrax Earthshade
Rocks:
Base coat Eshin grey
Wet brush Skaven Dingeblight
Wash Nuln Oil
Dry brush Stromvermin fur
Wash Agrax Eathshade
Dry brush Dawnstone, Longbeard grey
Dirt:
Base coat Rhinox Hide
Dry brush Steele Legion drab, Banenlade brown, Karak Stone, Terminatus stone
Wash in random patterned on rocks and dirt Rikland fleshshade, Aothnian camoshade
Wash whole base Agrax earthshade & water 3:1
Paint trim as desired.

~Whew~

I hope I spelled all those names right but I think they are close enough for you to know what Citadel paints I am referring to. I did get a little work done on my DV set and in the process I realized something...
I...
...hate...
...duplicate...
...Sculpts!
I really just wanted to slap those chaos forces together - especially after all the work I put into converting the Dark Angels - but I can't bring myself to settle.  I think I may have the beginning of a serious converting addiction.  I blame some of the easy and great cultist conversions I saw this week over at Angels of Death.

Thanks for stopping by. Next post will probably be a lot more green and grey plastic as I continue to convert and build my DV set. Of course I can always throw some more previously painted stuff up if things get too grey on the blog right?

Until next time remember; you can't spell paint with out a little pain.

25 comments:

  1. I'm liking Alpharius...cool conversions too.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm having trouble not converting things now...

      Delete
  2. Really nice job on the alpha legion mini! I particularly like the translucent effect on the armour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's working well on your pre heresy son of horus too I see.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the shout out! I totally agree with you about hating duplicates. Also, if you happen to have the Assault on Black reach terminators, or maybe even some others you can try what this guy did with his duplicate terminators: http://screwedupdice.blogspot.com/2012/10/dark-vengeance-converting-terminators.html I plan on doing something like this with mine. I'm hoping to get my commissar cultist painted up for the Secret weapon contest too, but I have a feeling it won't be able to beat yours. that blue/green metal is incredible, and looks super easy to paint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem. I like to link to cool posts I've seen that influence my work. Alpharius there was super easy to paint but it's super easy to take glazes too far and nearly impossible to go back or tone it down. I wish i still had some AOBR termies left cause that looks really good. I wouldn't count yourself out of the STC contest either one of the 2 prizes is for converting as i understand and that traitor commissar is pretty cool.

      Delete
    2. Well may the best model win! Whoever wins, I'm really looking forward to seeing all the other entries. Also, i've actually been wanting to figure out how to paint a metallic red, and I think I may have to use this method.

      Delete
    3. Yeah funny how the winning seems like a secondary thing with these contests. I just like seeing the other entries and swapping cool ideas. Reds turn out nice using this method too.

      Delete
    4. In terms of the contest over at STC - we have two prizes for SWM gift certificates, one for best painted and one for best conversion. On top of that if you swing over to The Chaos Manifesto ( http://thechaosmanifesto.blogspot.ca/2012/11/saturday-shout-out-19-contest-for-chaos.html ) I am running a side contest that is also giving away two prizes. One for simply leaving a comment on my contest post (prize is a secret) and the other for running a shout-out post on your own personal blog (GW gift certificate). Lots of prizes to go around.

      Delete
  4. Zab thanks for the run down on you painted your model. When you say:

    "Wet brush Balthasar Gold, Runelord Brass, Sycorax Bronze" or say "Stipple Warplock Bronze, Runelord Brass"

    Do you mean that you mixing each colour in a one to one ratio?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gee, I certainly could have been more clear on that huh? Stupid hindsight, why do you mock me so?! Basically each color is applied separately. I actually didn't let the previous color dry between applications during wet brushing or stippling as it helped to blend them right on the mini.

      Delete
  5. Excellent colourscheme, trying it out right now. Thnx!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. It's an easy one to do. Well, the armour anyway :)

      Delete
    2. I´ve avoided painting alpha legion (even though they´re my favorite traitor legion) because I havent been able to work out how to use the canon-colours in a good way. Well, problem solved :-)

      Delete
    3. Yeah I know your pain. You should check out the test minis post from my DV box set. The alpha legion test mini was like a seafoam green and ultramarine blue. I may have actually cried over that one it was so bad.

      Delete
  6. Redirected here by the good Mordian 7th - a) your paint scheme is awesome - cheers for setting out the steps in an easy to follow method.

    b) I totally understand the hate on repetitive posed minis. Particularly in something like the DV set - you go to all the effort to design some rilliant sculpts and at the fifth terminator get bored so reuse one of the ones you've already done???? Would it have been that hard to make a 100% unique set?

    I hadn't even thought of modifying the Cultists but it does look right easy and I have a huge bits box - when I finally get around to looking at those minis I think I will be doing a bit of tinkering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. The DV set was the last thing i bought from gw. The rest or their releases feel like they are getting pretty bad mini wise. There's few gems here and there but it feels like they have been mailing it in lately. Go for it with the cultists, it's easier than you think and VERY gratifying!

      Delete
  7. I'm glad i'm not the only one who cant handle 'clone' models! Going to look into this for my own chosen (I have two boxes of dark vengeance models) - One thing i definitely want to do is swap the drum mag for maybe a box mag from a space marine veteran kit. (I cannot stand the loose hanging chains of ammo chaos seem to use, I only use magazines for my bolters which for chaos can be a problem to source)
    Thanks for helping the ideas flow nice subtle changes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *because i cant edit: I had a question on your armor painting:
      When you describe highlighting in runefang steele after doing the blue glazes, is that to return the highlight to silver, and then the green glazes go on the highlights (which are now silver?)
      I paint matte armor but wanted a squad of ex-alpha legion in my warband, and after seeing this i think it is the perfect way to paint their blue armor to give them a touch of alpha legion while keeping my color scheme.

      Delete
    2. Yep! That is exactly the process for the green. It also helps blend the green and blue together a bit around the highlight.

      Delete
  8. I know this post is old but I just started painting my Alpha legion like this and I was wondering: how would you paint an Alpha Legion Rhino to fit the models? Thank you and great blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      That's good question. I think you would have to do it one panel at a time unless you have an air brush. So use the same techniques and break it into smaller sections so that the glaze settles smoothly. You could also try mixing the glaze into your metallics as a tint and see if that works too (maybe try that out on the bottom of the rhino in case it looks like crap)

      Hope that helps :)

      Delete
    2. Yes it does! Thank you very much. I'll try posting a picture once it's done!

      Delete

By all means have your say, but please keep it civil.